Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Shhh!! Keeping Secrets on the Job...But for the Right Reasons

Since starting the MACOMM program at Sacred Heart University, I’ve had the chance to intern in both radio and television. In production, it is the person’s job to find interesting content and create stories that can be packaged and presented to an audience. I’ve learned that in production, there are always pieces of information that are to be kept strictly confidential.

For example, on talk shows, you are working with real people in real life that are dealing with real issues. During two different semesters, I interned at three NBCUniversal syndicated talk shows: The Jerry Springer Show, The Maury Show, and The Trisha Show. All of these shows cover topics like love triangles, relationships, parenting issues, DNA testing, and more.


As a Production Intern, I worked a lot with the producers and the guests before, during, and after a taped show. I also spoke directly to dozens of potential guests over the phone about their stories. As you can imagine, I was exposed to a lot of private information about the show guests and how a talk show operates.

 

Let’s say someone is a big fan of the Maury Show and they excitedly ask me to share personal details on a particular episode that they watched. Should I share the juicy details or keep it to myself?

In this situation, I would immediately think of Aristotle’s Golden Mean, which is choosing the middle action between two extremes. If I chose to gossip about all the guests and repeat every single thing that I heard them say backstage, then that would be excessive. If I chose to ignore the person and walk away then that would be deficient.



So instead, I would choose a moderate action like politely letting them know that I couldn’t discuss private information because of confidentiality.  I would then thank them for watching the show and maybe even ask who their show favorite was and why.

Choosing the Golden Mean is a great ethical approach to take because acting too “deficient” and not saying anything can cause a reaction like this: “They chose to broadcast their personal lives to millions of people on national television! So why can’t you talk about it?”

A good way to determine whether something needs to be kept secret or is wrongfully kept secret is to apply the Universalism perspective, which is that a system of ethics applies to everyone. If I think it’s fine and dandy to spread another person’s personal business to others, then I must find it acceptable for others to do the same towards me (which I wouldn’t).

Another factor that would remind to be mindful of what I say and how I say it is the NBCUniversal/Comcast Code of Conduct and Solutions Document that all interns are required to sign before starting our internship.

This document talks about what is expected of us, how we should conduct ourselves in the workplace, and confidentiality requirements. Since the information we may come across is so sensitive, it is extremely important that we never share any of it with anyone outside of the company. Posting private show content via social media is also prohibited.
NBCUniversal’s Code of Conduct wouldn’t be the only reason why I would keep show segments secret. I think for this example, applying Mill’s Utility Principle is key because the consequences of me broadcasting someone else’s information could cause public embarrassment, ridicule, and even danger.

Not only would this cause damage to the person that I’m talking about, but it would also cause irreversible damage to me. If the word gets around to my supervisor that I had not been keeping the stories confidential, then it would impact me professionally and personally. Professionally, I would lose my internship and most likely be banned from any other internships with NBCUniversal. Personally, I would not be considered trustworthy to my peers and it would affect my emotional well being.

As a media professional, I think I can avoid getting entangled in some secrets, but not all. Simply because when you work for a media company, you are extension of their brand, you represent them, you see and hear everything concerning that organization (whether it is your intention or not). Even though one maybecome aware of secrets, I don’t necessarily think that you can’t escape ethical dilemmas. I think it all depends on the secret and what ethical principles you use. I think there is always an ethically justifiable solution. You just have to think as fairly and critically as possible to find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment